Stay connected and sign-up for emails to get exclusive deals and event info.
When you get your lighter, you might notice that it's empty. We ship all of our lighters empty for safety and security reasons. To fill up your lighter, follow these easy steps:
Note: do not refill a lighter immediately after using it, give it some time to cool off.
1. At the bottom of your lighter, you will notice a (+) and a (-) which is the flame height adjuster. When refilling your lighter, use a screwdriver (or something small) to turn this all the way to the (-), some refillable butane lighters also come with a key to adjust this. If you find that it's not moving in that direction, there's a good chance it's already on the lowest setting, try turning it the other way and back to make sure.
2. Push on the small lighter refill valve with a screwdriver, this will bleed all of the air out of the fuel tank. When there is air in the fuel tank, this prevents the butane from entering the tank.
3. Make sure you are using a premium butane gas such as Xikar or Colibri. Using a cheap butane gas refill will clog your lighter and prevent it from working properly.
4. Hold your lighter fully in an upside down position (this helps avoiding air entering the fuel tank when you go to fill). Shake your butane refill can and press the stem of the can directly onto the center of refill valve (while in a straight up-and-down position). Hold for about 5 seconds and release. Repeat in shorter bursts as necessary until tank is filled. Note: if you notice gas leakage/high hissing sound, you might not be holding the lighter and butane fully straight. Try adjusting, and if it persists, you might need an adapter, which traditionally comes with any lighter fluid refill butane.
5. Let your lighter sit for a moment, butane gets cold when released from the can. You might notice that your lighter gets very cold- this is normal. Let it warm up for about a minute or so.
6. Turn your height adjuster to the desired flame height and test it out! If there is no flame, repeat the above steps.
© 2022 Thompson Cigar
Thompson Cigar does not sell products to anyone under the age of 21. If you do not meet the minimum age requirement, please do not enter our site.
*First-time customers only. Some exclusions apply.