roper care of your humidor will help to give you years of smoking pleasure. The following are basic guidelines for humidor care. (If the vendor has provided initial instructions for them and refer to these instructions for long term maintenance.)
1. Do not put cigars in the humidor until all steps have been completed and the humidity level has been stabilized. If the humidor does not come with a gauge (hygrometer), we recommend purchasing one to correctly monitor humidity levels.
2. To activate the hygrometer, wrap it in a warm, damp towel for 30 minutes. Upon removing it from the towel, you must calibrate the hygrometer by adjusting it until it reads 95 - 97% (by use of a screw on the back or other method--the documentation that comes with the hygrometer should explain how to do this). If it already reads 95-97%, then you are ready to go. Now install it in the humidor and proceed with prep instructions.
3. Use only distilled water or, 100% Mystic or 100% Thompson solutions in you humidor. Place humidifier in a bowl and fill with distilled water or, 100% Mystic or 100% Thompson solutions. Submerge the humidifier halfway, face down in the bowl of water for 2-3 minutes. Remove the humidifier and wipe off excess water with a paper towel.
4. Dampen a new sponge or towel with distilled water or, 100% Mystic or 100% Thompson solutions and wipe the interior (sides, bottom, inside of lid, and any dividers or trays). Do NOT soak the cedar. Dampen only enough to darken the wood.
5. Place a plastic bag on the bottom of the humidor. Place the damp sponge or towel (not dripping) on top of the plastic.
6. Install the humidifier and gauge (hygrometer) to the inside lid. Leave the humidor lid closed for 12-24 hours.
7. Open the humidor and remove the sponge and plastic. Refill the humidifier (step 3) and reinstall in the humidor.
8. Leave the humidor lid closed for 12-24 hours. This will season the wood and raise the humidity level to between 65% and 75%.
9. Do not be concerned if the humidity level is high. It takes a period of time for the level to stabilize and the gauge to adjust. Place cigars in a humidor only when level has decreased to between 65%-75%. To lower level open the lid of the humidor for 1-2 hours. Close the lid and periodically check the humidity level with a gauge.
10. If humidity level is below 65%, follow steps 1-7 again.
Long term maintenance to achieve the best results from you humidor.
1. Periodically rotate your cigars (once a month).
2. Keep your humidor away from direct sunlight, heat/air conditioning ducts, and direct interior lighting. Dust only with a cloth (polishes may affect the wood and cigar flavor).
3. Open your humidor as little as possible to maintain the humidity level.
4. If cigars are wrapped, remove from cellophane to maintain freshness and enhance curing.
5. Periodically check humidity level and remoisten humidifier (step 3) with distilled water or, 100% Mystic or 100% Thompson solutions to maintain 65%-75%.
Should you require any other information, please feel free to contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-237-2559.